Landscape Architects are increasingly using new technologies in their daily work. The documents they produce remain subject to high standards of reliability. Active Landscape Architects who wish to produce legally reliable digital documents in compliance with MALA’s requirements, can now accomplish this task with CertifiO for Professionals – Manitoba Landscape Architects Digital Signature (referred to as the “Digital Seal”). Digital Seals are not to be confused with a digital image of a Seal.
After extensive evaluation of the Digital Signature market, MALA has selected Notarius to provide a MALA Digital Seal to active members.
What is an electronic document?
An electronic document is a document carried by electronic, logical and visual media.
What is a Digital Signature certificate?
It is a computer artefact issued and cryptographically protected by a Certificate Authority (Notarius) attesting to the veracity of the information declared in the certificate. This information may include:
- Full name;
- Email address.
- Professional title;
- Membership number;
- Public key,
- Validity period and the serial number of their certificate.
What is a Digital Signature?
It is the affixing of a digital signature certificate that cryptographically secures an electronic file, thus proving the origin, the authenticity of the signer, and confirm the integrity of the signed document.
Partnership between the Manitoba Association of Landscape Architects and Notarius
Notarius provides the framework and platform to allow its 34+ partners to issue Trusted Digital Signatures to their members, without the trouble of managing the technological infrastructure related to such complex solutions. In the same way MALA controls issuance of the ink stamp, this partnership allows MALA to be the exclusive issuer of a Digital Seal.
Active Members who wish to avail themselves of a MALA Digital Seal will begin the process of creating electronic originals and authenticate final document using proven technology solutions that meet government standards and archiving best practices for electronic files.
Click here to download the MALA Digital Seal Policy.
Features and Benefits
The Digital Seal affixed to a document by a Landscape Architect:
- Guarantees the origin of the document. The origin of the document includes proof of the signer’s identity, his MALA professional affiliation (at the time of the signature) as well as the date and time of the document’s finalization;
- Ensures the integrity of the document (as well as its data contents), so that the document has not been altered since its completion;
- Establishes the authenticity of the document. The authenticity implies that everything necessary to prove its origin and integrity is embedded in the document;
- Ensures the longevity of the document. Longevity provides the ability to open, read, authenticate and preserve the reliability of a document over time, or any period exceeding twelve years (rule of thumb).
The Digital Seal must remain under the sole control of its holder, it cannot be shared nor delegated under any circumstances.
How to obtain a MALA Digital Seal
To obtain your Digital Seal, please visit the MALA page on Notarius’ website.
For more information:
- Sign Up information: https://notarius.com/signup/certifioforprofessionals
- CertifiO for Professional Product brochure: https://notarius.com/info/certifioforprofessionals
- ConsignO Desktop Product brochure: https://notarius.com/info/consignodesktop
- Verification of digital signatures (How to)
- Weekly webinars offered by Notarius: https://notarius.com/en/help/kb/webinars/
Questions about MALA Digital Seal?
Janet Thomas, Executive Director
For Technical Assistance
Please contact: Notarius Customer support
By phone: 1-855-505-7272 or by email: email@example.com