UPLAND Planning & Design Studio
UPLAND provides award-winning planning and design services for the diverse places and communities of Atlantic Canada. We firmly believe that effective planning and design solutions must stem from local experience and leadership. We are collaborators at our core. Our objective for all our projects is to create an open and effective participatory process that is appropriate to the unique context of each community.
We believe that creating vibrant and successful places is a complex process that requires input from many backgrounds and perspectives. Since its inception, UPLAND has intentionally grown into a collective of diverse experiences and perspectives that we, and our clients, are fortunate to benefit from. Professionally, we offer vast experience and expertise in planning, landscape architecture, urban design, public engagement and GIS analytics, and come from both municipal and consulting backgrounds. Our team includes a mix of home-grown Atlantic Canadians and people who have moved here from around the country and world to call this place home.
Our office is located in the core of the Halifax region, a welcoming, dynamic and growing mid-size city with an excellent quality of life. The optimistic economic climate in our region is reflected in a variety of exciting residential, commercial and institutional projects, on which the successful Landscape Architect will be working.
We currently have an opening for a senior Landscape Architect. The successful applicant lead a wide range of assignments on projects large and small in a variety of urban and rural settings and will play a leading role in our landscape architecture, urban design and environmental design projects.
The successful applicant is expected to:
- Lead and manage UPLAND’s landscape architecture portfolio and projects;
- Meet deadlines and produce high-quality deliverables on multiple projects;
- Work collaboratively within multidisciplinary teams on complex projects;
- Be self driven and motivated;
- Exercise professional judgment on specific tasks;
- Be experienced in writing reports and research studies that are clear, professional, and persuasive; and
- Be willing to travel to work assignments throughout Atlantic Canada.
The position requires proficiency in communication techniques including excellent hand drawing skills and a solid knowledge of contemporary CAD, 3D modeling and graphic software including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and other drafting, graphic design and layout software.
Other required technical skills include:
- Creating conceptual and schematic design drawings and diagrams that convey key design themes or concepts;
- Preparing detailed design construction drawings and specifications;
- Preparing cost estimates;
- Layout, drafting and refinement of landscape architecture plans and design concepts at a variety of scales;
- Liaising with suppliers, fabricators, etc; and
- Writing professional reports that clearly and articulately explain complex ideas using plain language.
The candidates we will consider for this position will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of three years of work experience;
- Skills and experience in advanced data mapping, management and analysis;
- A master’s degree in landscape architecture;
- Excellent writing skills and confidence in public speaking;
- Advanced skills in AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks, Rhino, Sketchup, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and other Adobe Creative Suite software (e.g., Photoshop);
- Eligible for membership to CSLA and/or APALA; and
- A valid driver’s license and passport/permanent residence card/work permit.
In order to be considered for this position, please submit a CV, cover letter and portfolio to email@example.com.
Deadline: Friday, April 30, 2021
Wages commensurate with experience and qualifications, and a benefit package is available.
To apply for this job please visit www.uplandstudio.ca.