Website University of Manitoba
Faculty of Architecture, Environmental Design Program, University of Manitoba
The Environmental Design Program invites applications for a full-time probationary position at the rank of Instructor I with a starting date of 1 July 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter. We are seeking applicants with a passion for design education who are able to work across disciplines and to apply innovative and creative approaches to their work. This position offers applicants the opportunity to work within a dedicated and forward-thinking team of design educators to provide a catalyst for outstanding undergraduate design education. This position is primarily for the teaching of studios and lecture courses in the ED 1 and/or ED 2 years. Teaching duties will generally comprise one studio and one lecture course in each of the Fall and Winter Terms. The position will also involve service duties, including participation in Faculty-wide administrative committees. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The terms of appointment for Instructor positions are set out in Article 34 of the Collective Agreement between the University and the University Faculty Association (UMFA) accessible at http://www.umfa.ca/member-resources/collective-agreement.
The Faculty of Architecture at the University of Manitoba is dedicated to studies in the design of the human environment. We offer an undergraduate program in Environmental Design and fully accredited graduate programs in Architecture, City Planning, Interior Design, and Landscape Architecture, as well as a PhD program in Design and Planning. Further details are available from http://umanitoba.ca/admin/human_resources/staff_relations/academic/UMFA.html.
The Bachelor of Environmental Design degree (BEnvD) is a four-year program comprising two years of foundation studies (ED 1 and ED 2) followed by two years of discipline-specific studies in one of three options – Architecture, Interior Environments or Landscape + Urbanism.
The appointee will report to (and be assigned their teaching duties by) the Chair of the Environmental Design program and will be a member of Faculty Council and of the program council.
Candidates will be reviewed in terms of the following criteria:
- A Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture is required, along with demonstrated creative practice in the field and academic professional experience
- Must be eligible for membership in the Manitoba Association of Landscape Architects – full membership is preferred
- Demonstrated experience in teaching design foundations and principles is preferred
- Possess expertise in, and have an interest for, the scientific principles embodied in the natural laws which govern environmental design, and be able to incorporate alternative perspectives
- Ability to communicate and deliver content through remote means is preferred
- Additional assets may include knowledge and application of ecology in design, application of GIS technologies in design, land-based knowledge and Indigenous principles of design
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Applicants are requested to digitally submit a complete application package with the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- portfolio of professional and scholarly work
- teaching dossier and/or statement of the applicant’s approach to teaching design
- name, address, phone number and email of three referees from whom confidential references may be obtained
Applicants are requested to submit their materials by 30 January 2021, and will remain open until the position is filled.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of the Manitoba Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Please note, however, that Curricula Vitae may be provided, confidentially, to members of the Search Committee.
Applications and enquiries should quote the above-noted position number and emailed to:
Dr. Susan Close
Associate Dean (Academic) and Chair, Environmental Design Program
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3T 2N2
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org